Saturday, June 19, 2010

Avatar; The Bigger Picture


Standing in front of the red-box DVD machine at Publix on the eve of my birthday celebration is definitley not what I had originally anticipated. In fact, I do not know many people that could rationalize that plan as anything remotley entertaining.

Originally, for my 23rd birthday, my boyfriend and I had planned a grand evening. First, we decided, we would dine at a delicious Italian eatery--the Macaroni Grill. Next, we would follow our grand dinner with fun games of bowling, and arcade fun. Lastly, we had planned,...we would walk over to Beef O Bradys and indulge in their rich chocolate cheesecake, and yummy mudslide drinks. It was undoubtedly a wonderful plan. However, seemingly similar to every other festive occasion in my lifetime.....I got sick at the very openings of the fun. Therefore, my boyfriend and I resigned to rent a DVD at Publix, and stay in for the evening.

My luck did not improve in selecting our DVD choice. Alone at Publix,and in front of the red-box, I felt completley cornered as an 8 year old boy sighed impatiently behind me. Clearly, he was anxious to get his hands on the new copy of "Natures Fury." I know this because he kept whispering such to his mother; adding at the end of his whines: "this lady is taking FOREVER!!!"Resigned to the red-box on the night of my birthday fun, I almost had the spite to retort: "the movie went straight to box-office for a reason kid! Not to mention...it stars Brennan Frasier. Keep your pants on!" But alas.

Feeling rushed to make a decision, I selected the first appealing movie I could find. To realistically portray my time at the red box for my readers....I did not even scroll past the "A's" on the alphabetical list...and came home with "Avatar." Yes, dear readers, its true. The boy in the line behind me might actually be the worlds' first person to have LESS patience than me.

I know that in this time of the post,I should probably discuss how great the animation was in the film, or how much I enjoyed the story, or how vastly it exceeded my preconceptions. And in truth,all three of the aforementioned statements are true. But that is not what I want to focus on today. Today I'd like to focus on a specific quote in the film that is not only true to my life; but should be a rule in everyone elses.

Specifically, within the movie, their comes a certain instance in which the stories' protagonist must risk his life (literally) to acheive his dreams. Explaning himself, the protagonist narrates this predicament for viewers. He says: "Have you ever noticed how, sometimes in life, your life boils down to one insane move?"

Though the film was inarguably well done, it was the abovementioned quote that continually stuck with me.

Personally, I recognize my own "insane move" as my relocation from the quaint city of Tallahassee, to the seeming metropolis of Orlando. Tallahassee, of course, was my own birth-place. Furthermore, it was the city in which most of my friends resided, as well as my close-knit family. Tallahassee was, and is, a city that I love very deeply. It was a place that I shared many tears, and also several happinesses. In Tallahassee, I had graduated from schools, made many friends, had several adventures, and ultimatley lived for the better part of my young life. But after my last year at Community College, I began to recognize the need for change in scenery.

Upon graduating from TCC, my boyfriend moved to Orlando for his own carreer path. I visited him from time to time; eventually touring the collegiate campus there. At first glance, I somehow knew that UCF was the proper place for me. As a result, I submitted all my application papers there...and waited for the Universities' feedback.

BUT ANYWAYS....BACK TO THAT INSANE MOVE

I will never forget seriously questioning my own sanity on the night of December 19th, 2009. At 12 P.M., that night,I had loaded up my entire town-home (residence for THREE years), into my Isuzu Rodeo. Thats right....all the contents of my life for the last three years were packed into my SUV....at midnight.... But perhaps the real kicker of this story, is that the aforementioned Rodeo had been in the mechanics shop until 3pm that very afternoon, and that post midnight....I was heading to Orlando, FL.

So there I was....midnight....pitch black...Rodeo loaded down with my entire Tallahassee life.....heading to Orlando. It was only when I reached the mid-way point of the drive, that I seriously began questioning myself. "What if the relationship didn't work..and my boyfriend was the only person I knew there?!" "What if I missed my friends/family too badly?!" "Would I make any friends at school?" "Would I even be accepted at UCF?!" For the first time in my life.....I was completley without a plan. It was the scariest moment in my entire life. Looking back now, I sometimes wonder if I didnt have a guardian angel driving that car---ensuring my safety on the road as my mind wildly ambled. Furthermore, I wonder sometimes if that same angel didnt follow me to Orlando---where my friends from Tallahassee soon arrived for comforting,consoling visits.

Upon arriving in Orlando, it just seemed as everything fell directly into place. After two days past Christmas, and one day prior to friendly new-years company arriving....I got the best news of my life. I can still remember the pride, and chills I felt in our old apartment complex' computer lab. I opened my inbox emails and read the five, most beautiful words I had ever seen: "Congratulations....You have been accepted...." From that point on, despite consistent home-sickness, I knew that I had made the right choice in moving.

The friends in Tallahassee that have stayed in my life took the initiative...and came frequently for fun visits. The experience at UCF has been amazing, educational, and uncomparable. My boyfriend and my relationship has strengthened as a result of the move..not suffered. But perhaps the greatest result of all these things....is the confidence the move wrought me. I realize, with pride, that in moving....I found myself. No longer am I terrified of the future, or the idea of change. Moving once again, or staying in Orlando mean similar happinesses to me. I know now that I can handle whatever life throws at me.....and I am ready for the challenge. This is the gift of my "insane move."

Personally, I feel as though it is important for everyone to have their own "insane move." When discussing this quote with one of my closest friends, she told me of her, personal "move" story. In listening, I realized that her story was just as life-defining as my own. Perhaps one of the most annoying things on planet earth is the person with one million "pipe-dreams," which never occur. However, surmisably ,even more annoying that that is the person with one million real dreams which they never pursue. My advice to you, readers, is to go after those dreams....pursue those fears...take that risk....no matter how "insane" it may seem. It just might be the one risk you take that defines your life......

No comments:

Post a Comment