Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And So It Begins....

Today was the introduction into the next 12 weeks of my life. To reiterate my day simply:

  • I have an amazingly gifted, former Sherrifs Deputy as a professor for an elective. I never thought ANYONE could make a class entitled : "Sex Offenders and The Justice System" interesting....but he succeeds brilliantly. Today, alone, the man paralleled "good" and "bad" fanatasies by admiting his hilarious, albeit slightly disturbing, obsession with the sixties actress Y'Vonne Craig. I'll never look at "batgirl" the same. To add, we finished out the class by playing a rousing game of "guess the pedophile" from a list of preists he pieced together. Fascinating stuff.....
  • My film teacher is a cute little German lady who kind of reminds me of Mrs. Claus (y'know...Santa's wife??!). She's very timid, yet she is also intelligent on her subject matter. Today, in her class, we had the fantastic surprise of a ridiculously loud fire-drill. Despite the fact that it yelled "this is a test" five BILLION times, my professor deemed it absolutley necessary to check on the status of the abovementioned "test." Oh yah...and she was also convinced,at first sound, that my teeny-tiny, microscopic "netbook" computer was emitting the fog-horn like drill sound. In class, we watched a two hour long movie, which seemed like it took eons, entitled "Orlando," and pretended to take notes.
  • I deduced, while sitting through said bore-fest, that this semester is going to be intriguing if nothing else.

IN OTHER NEWS

HERE IS A QUOTE I LIKE

Disclaimer: I picked up Tori Spelling's book "Stori Telling" at Goodwill for .92. The price was right for the "heart-wrenching stories," but her writing aesthetic is similar to my own. The .92 cents I paid were well worth the one quote, in her book, I fell in love with.

"My whole life I wanted to be normal. Everybody knows there's no normal. There is no black and white definition of normal. Normal is subjective. There's only a messy, inconsistent, silly, hopeful version of how we feel most at home in our own lives. But when I think about what I have now, what I strived to reach my whole life, it's not the bigest or best or easiest or prettiest or most anything. It's not the manor or the laundry closet. Not the multi-million inheritance or the poorhouse. It's not the superstardom or unemployment. It's family and love and safety. It's bravery and hope. It's work and laughter and imperfection. It's my normal"

No comments:

Post a Comment