Saturday, May 8, 2010

Oh that Nemesis Common Sense!!!

Today, I had the most massive headache that would not die. Seriously, this was not your everyday, minor pain, temple irritation. No no...this horrible pain was the granddaddy of all headaches. This, dear readers, was the stuff of headache legend.










In an ill-planned, and admittedly lazy effort to cure the excruciating pain within my head, I laid my body upon the sofa. Nextly, I decided that the five steps to retreive the Ibuprofen were much too far to walk. Thenceforth, I endulged in the glorified crap/mental rot our society now refers to as "television."










Upon surfing the TV Channels, I came across multiple "events" I found particularly note-worthy. The "VH1" Network proudly broadcasted the trials and tribulations of rich spouses on a show entitled "Basketball Wives." As I watched these women, I could not help but notice all the really, REALLY poor decision skills they posessed. One woman, in particular, was staying with her unfaithful dog of a husband specifically for the possibility of attaining a large, affluent home. To add, the woman's somber attitude on camera made it seem as if her present-day, financial situation was crucial to her very existence. Certainly, I'm no authority on her life, but it seemed as if the woman was making a very bad choice, and then poorly, personally handling it.


Amongst the "Bravo" channel, there ran a re-run marathon of "New Jersey Housewives" shows. The segment, in particular, that I witnessed portrayed a manic woman getting insanely upset with another housewife at a classy eatery. In place of simply, verbally expressing her feelings....the crazed, aforementioned "lady" literally threw a TABLE across the room to portray her anger. Ummm???!! Those of you who have seen this, specific episode were most likely equally affected. Typically, the viewers' general reaction to this woman's action was that it was a really REALLY poor choice. That is, of course, unless she wants to be known around society as the "crazy table thrower" for the rest of her life..which does posess a certain ring to it....but I digress..... The insane, battle-axe "lady" that threw the table maintained, explicitly, her correctness throughout the entire episode. Once again, her poor decision was depicted as much more drastic than it actually was.






The more that I flipped the channels, the more (interperative) mistakes I witnessed. At first, I was willing to write this seemingly coincidental instance off as the ultimate dredge of"good TV." However, later in the day....I realized that mistakes and poor decisions are the essential building blocks to humanity, itself.
I cannot express to others how many poor choices I have personally made within my own lifetime. Some of the derogatory judgements, made by yours truly, have included: misinterpreting tooth-paste as a new-wave pimple ointment(thus producing bumpy,sore, red patches all over my face...think dry shave?!!), walking face-first into a closed sliding glass door, attempting to help a blind girl search for her purse by enquiring of her: "what does your purse look like?,"and lastly in ignoring the empathetic warnings of a well-meaning server, on my first date, that resulted in getting my own car towed.
Undeniably, the struggles between myself and "common sense" go wwayyyyy on back. Admittedly, my many decisions to choose the prior has lead me to some fairly embarassing life moments. However, I have gained much personal strength from them.
Perhaps one of my greatest personal strengths is being able to laugh at myself. Realistically, most girls with my luck would let it discourage them in a derrogatoy fashion. However, I learned at an early age that if I expressed my own faults BEFORE and BETTER than anyone else...there was nothing hurtful that anyone else could ever say to me. Now, in the stage of my 20's, I find laughter the absolute best medicine. Yes...I am ditzy, Yes..I make poor judgement calls, and yes....I am an undeniable dork. But the aformentioned things are qualities which I have learned to perceive as personal strengths. To add, this has innumberably aided my perception of other people. Being secure with myself ,and my own faults has made me far less apt to measure myself against others. Therefore, if people are willing to laugh at themselves,I feel that their own"poor choices" may have actually been minor slip-ups which strengthened them, as they did me.
One, quirky thing that I have noticed about human society is the innumerable ways in which they measure themselves. Often-times, people take their own mistakes far too seriously. Instead of expressing themselves, people let their previous, poor decisions (judgements,etc) rule their very lives. Many times, these mistakes fester inside of humans....and often lead to poor consequences. Some of these outcomes include: the need to measure oneself to others,poor self-confidence, or even resorting to entirely censoring oneself in public to avoid similar, embarassing outcomes.
Humans, in general, are undoubtedly their own greatest critics. Notably, though, personal mistakes are not nearly as greivous as we usually perceive them to be. Live. Laugh. Love.

Eliz

No comments:

Post a Comment